A Taiwanese iPhone 8 Plus owner has claimed that her device split open while being charged with the supplied cable and plug adapter. She posted photos which show damage with a swollen battery.
A Japanese owner has posted similar photos of his device, which he says arrived in this state .
Some media reports are describing it as an ‘explosion,’ but there is no visible evidence of any burn marks, and much more extensive damage would be expected were this the case.
The Japanese owner tweeted photos of the damage to his device.
While as we saw with the samsung note 7 exploding battery incident that caused a dent in samsung’s pocket , this incident with iphone will attract massive media attention in the coming days if there turns out few more incident’s , it’s worth noting the usual disclaimers. First, any device manufactured in the millions will include some faulty models – the real news would be if this were not the case. Second, investigations into charging-related incidents often reveal that a third-party charger was used, even when an owner initially claims to have used the supplied Apple one.
Any device with a swollen battery should be immediately removed to a safe place, as it can indicate a lithium battery at risk of bursting into flames.
We understand that Apple is aware only of these two instances, and that it always carefully investigates safety-related reports.